Paul Stokstad | 1889 Larch Avenue | email@example.com |641-451-4219
- Web Marketing: PPC, SEO, usability, content development and social media integration
- Web Content: content architectures, art direction, copy creation and supervision, toolset/plugin selection and integration
- Web Ads: keyword research, ad creation, campaign launch and optimization, landing pages, analytics and tracking in Google, Bing, Facebook and Adroll.
- Print marketing and copywriting background
- Team building and vendor coordination in advertising, web marketing and design
- Undergraduate, MA and MBA level instructor experience in Web Marketing, Advertising, Ad Copywriting, Journalism, Desktop Publishing, Comedy Writing, Poetry, and Freshman Composition
- Development Group - Alumni Director, Communications Producer
- Web Marketing Manager - Academic Verticals
- Web Marketing Director
- Web marketing consultation - ongoing
- Web Project Manager
- Web Marketing Director
- Communications Project Manager, Technical Computing Group, Corporate Level - Microsoft
- Regional Marketing Director for a non-profit educational organization
- Web Content Migration Manager for a web business hosting company
- Founder of a web marketing, consultation and design firm
- Creative Director for a video game web portal startup
- Founder of a boutique ad agency/web marketing firm
- Web Access Product Manager for a callback industry telephony company.
- Founder of an advertising and marketing consultancy
- Senior Account Executive for a boutique ad agency.
Maharishi University of Enlightenment, Fairfield, Iowa, June 2016-Present
Alumni Director and Webmaster
Migrated legacy “Giving” web content to the flagship WordPress site (https://giving.mum.edu), including an entirely new Capital Projects section. Worked with an outside vendor to brand and interpolate a seamlessly integrated Legacy Section (on an outside server). Authored and Launched a new Alumni site, including upgraded visuals, usability, calendar (alumni.mum.edu). Launched new job site and Mentoring section. Launched crowdfunding sites and multiple CF projects. Launched MUM AlumCard benefits card program, OnePage CRM, trained in 4D database use and Wealthengine.com donor research toolset. Served as web and CRM software technical advisor on fundraising CRM evaluation and acquisition. Authored multiple reunion and other websites using WordPress Elegant Themes ecosystem.
Maharishi University of Enlightenment, Fairfield, Iowa October 2015 – June 2016
Assembled, trained, mentored and supervised a team of department specific “Brand Ambassadors” who focussed on creating tactical plans for academic departments, plus upgrading web presences and performing social media functions such as blogging and Facebook (et al) posting. Managed and empowered launch of 22 blogs and 9 blogletters. Supervised and performed PR, social media, site upgrades, print and web ad campaigns, and site creation for new academic programs. Vendor screening and recommendations. Managed and documented production spend. Managed multiple sub-contractors and content developers. Supervised, authored and edited ad campaign launches and managed vendor relationships for campaigns on Facebook, Google and Linkedin. Vendor relations and content development for web ads, print ads, and a Virtual Campus tour.
Maharishi University of Enlightenment, Fairfield, Iowa October 2010 – October 2015
Transformed a 1500 page website with one content developer into a 3000 page, 8 portal, content management site that empower dozens of internal content providers. Developed 50 ad landing pages. Conducted 35 internal usability studies that resulted in multiple academic and intranet presences for teaching and functional departments. Hiring, management, and training: a web developer, CMS manager, writers, designers and analytics personnel. Managing and tracking for ROI: a $250,000 annual ad spend. Managed two site overhauls resulting in a responsive design WordPress site.
Stokstad Online. Cedar Rapids, Iowa. March 2008 – present
Web marketing consultation, pay per click management, usability studies, search engine optimization and copywriting in support of in support of wholesale and nonprofit clients. Secured two $480,000 annual Google grants for international non-profits.
Genetic ID, Fairfield. Iowa November 2008 – February 2009
IT department. Site migrations from distributed web hosting environments to a centralized CMS, using the Kentico platform. Site launch procedure documentation. Specifications documents for internal site enhancement requests. Log file monitoring and site fixes. Multiple design projects for deployment as ads in industry journals, e-mail campaigns and Powerpoint templates.
NewspaperARCHIVE.com, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, December 2007 – November 2008
Managed $750,000 annual spend Google/Yahoo/MSN PPC program . Traffic and ROI analysis in Google Analytics and Excel. SEO research, content production schedule and multiple SEO enhanced articles. Conducted usability study resulting in user driven redesign of site. Developed PPC text, PPC banner, newsletter, email and print campaigns. Directed web content team and
customer service manager. Liaison and de facto project manager for development team.
Microsoft, via Excell Data Corporation, Feb 2007 – August 2007
Content Development for three internal and one external site: www.microsoft.com/science. Managed site launch and site redesign, art directed and produced a redesigned site a month early. Manage updates and Webtrends analysis through outside design agency. Maintained internal site updates in Sharepoint. Wrote 2008 fiscal year web plan for all four sites. Toolsets engaged: Sharepoint and Vista versions of Excel, Word, and Front Page
Regional Marketing Director for a non-profit educational organization. Designed and launched 40 cloned database driven websites to support locations in 4 states, including integrated Google PPC campaigns complete with landing pages and ROI tracking. Conducted online user training in events management and e-mail campaign toolsets. Authored and produced several other themed sites. Wrote and produced extensive online and offline ad campaigns and produced intranet site to support marketing efforts of local affiliates. Toolsets: Google Adwords, Google Analytics, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Excel, Quark XPress, Wordtracker, Q-Tools e-mail
marketing, ACT CRM platforms, LivePerson
Full Partner, Inc, Fairfield, IA, August 2003-May 2005
Web business site design and database integration. Search Engine Optimization and Pay Per Click campaigns from research through content adjustments and ad buy. Expert analysis and ad buys in Wordtracker, Google AdWords, Overture and Atlas OnePoint, Web banner concept, art and placement. Client consultation and site usability analyses with site architecture design deliverables. Copy, art, marketing, and design consultation and production. Toolsets: Full Partner Web Business Modules, Wordtracker, Microsoft Project, Photoshop
Founder of a web marketing, consultation and design firm. Designed and implemented online medical webmaster’s toolkit for affiliate marketing. Designed an anonymous opt-in ad delivery schema for the medical industry. Concept, writing, design, technical integration of a fundraising website for an international peace organization, including an affiliate based website with 150+ affiliate vendors. Developed an international design team (Iowa/Boston/India) for a web usability firm. Developed online cartoon concept/storyboards to support a branded product rollout. Complete site development, design and launch of investment, telephony, legal and exercise-related sites. Published two books. Toolsets: Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Filemaker, Quark XPress, HTML, PHP
Twin Galaxies, Fairfield, March 1, 2000 – December, 2000
Hiring, training, and direction of a team of 20 HTML programmers, visual artists, research personnel, writers, public relations support staff and their respective sub-department heads. Proposed multi-modal site community development features including alternate online 3-D universe site to support corporate branding/site stickiness. Advised founder on marketing directions off and online. Prepared Media components of Business Plan and reviewed entire plan for consistency with founder’s vision. Toolsets: Dreamweaver, Visual SourceSafe, Excel, Photoshop
Atrium InterMarketing Company, Inc., Fairfield, November 1998 – March 2000
Supervised account executives, art director, HTML designers and interns. Account direction, creative direction, production coordination and marketing of twenty-two Internet websites. Produced extensive corporate website, including an online book-length work, ” The Map of Iowa.” Published print and online versions of Museweek, a literary/arts journal. Personally designed and marketed ten websites. Several online clients reported a complete renovation and restructuring of their business success. Toolsets: Word, Quark XPress, HTML
Telegroup, Inc., Fairfield, January 1997 – October 1998
Managed nationwide web access product rollout. Negotiated with vendors and prepared extensive specifications document for internal product integration and billing. Established standards and implemented redesign of corporate website and promotional literature. Wrote advertising and Internet marketing plan. Advertising and marketing advisor on print and market research projects. Renovated intranet interface, publishing channels and promoted use by nine departments. Appointed and trained remote publishers. Toolsets: Excell, Dreamweaver, Adobe GoLive, Photoshop
The Creative Department, Fairfield, 1983 – 1997
Supervised four people as managing editor of a university publication. Promoted two successful seasons of The Fairfield Cultural Society. Created 40% increase in membership in an indoor tennis club via a direct mail campaign. Published several articles on client in national trade magazine for computer games industry. Toolsets: Photoshop, HTML, Word
Ad West, Brea, California, 1980-1981
Retail and wholesale account management. Training and supervision of junior account executives and interns. Media planning, ad concept and copy for a regional ad buy and 30,000 piece collateral materials print run. Brochure estimates, print coordination and copy for several clients. New business development. Toolset: Word.
Concurrently with much of the professional activity described above I served as an instructor on the graduate and undergraduate level in both full time and adjunct faculty roles.
- Maharishi University of Management, Fairfield, Iowa – Part time degree program administrator and instructor in the MA in Professional Writing, 1993-99 – Teaching Advertising Copywriting, Journalistic Writing, Poetry, Comedy Writing, and Portfolio Development
- Kirkwood Community College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa – Instructor, Freshman Composition, 2007-2008
- Maharishi University of Management, Fairfield, Iowa – Instructor, MUM MBA program – Advertising, Web Marketing, 2009-2010
- University of Iowa, B.A. in English, Iowa City, Iowa, 1972, Citation for Excellence in Creative Writing
- University of Iowa, M.A. in English and Linguistics, Iowa City, Iowa, 1986
- Maharishi University of Management, M.A. in SCI, Fairfield, Iowa, 1988
- Honorary Doctorate in World Peace, Maharishi European Research University, 2010
- Founded multiple improvisational theatre troupes, and a contact improv group. Trained over 100 performers, produced 50+ live shows and 30 videotaped performances, culminating in 8 live shows on public television, with remote viewer input.
- Wrote proposal and founded local public access TV station.
- Produced poetry reading series, videotaped 12 performances for later broadcast.
Books on Amazon:
- How to Start Your Own Improv Comedy Group (self-published)
- How to Be Your Own Best Tennis Pro (self-published)
- Putting Chronic Fatigue to Rest (ghost writer, eventually credited)
- Butterfly Tattoo – a volume of poetry, published by Blue Light Press
Plus essays, movie reviews, newspaper columns, and skits
Interests and Hobbies
- US Professional Tennis Association Certified tennis pro (retired), and an avid player
- Pickleball (see www.picklepaul.com)
- Partner dance and performance
- Improv theater and contact improv
- Fantasy, Science Fiction, Nautical and Military novels and histories